Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grant for CCTV

Grant for CCTV

Hi,

Could not find the best topic so I have posted here - apologies to moderators if I have posted in the incorrect place.

My question is, if there is a grant available for CCTV. I ask on behalf of a disabled friend, who has had her car window broken for no apparent reason. Further, her previous cars have had scratches on them from thugs.

I have tried to look on the internet but have found nothing, just wondering if anybody has any knowledge in this area.

She has had enough of fixing her car due to idiots who vandalize her car for no apparent reason and the cost of CCTV is prohibitive to her (She is on ESA/DLA).

I have posted in here and the drivers section to ensure maximum exposure (Note to moderators - if you feel that the duplicate thread is unwarranted please remove it)

Thanks in advance

It might have been better to post in one forum and post a link in the other. As I've replied here, maybe you can edit the other post and replace it with a link.

Where is the car kept in relation who where she lives? This is important both for the technological aspects of the situation, and for whether the car can be linked to her, in which case it might elevates the situation from fairly minor criminal damage (under the law of England and Wales - I don't know if the offence is the same in Scotland) to a potential disability hate crime.

What are the police saying about the situation, especially the possible hate crime aspect? Has she asked the police for crime prevention advice?

She has a disabled parking space outside her flat. The police have said it looks like it is 'idiots, who have nothing better to do'. She lives in a nice, relatively middle class neighbourhood. The vandalism doesn't occur always and affects other cars as well. With the breaking of her window (first according to her neighbour who has lived there for 30 years) is the straw that's broken the camels back.

The perpetrator who broke her window got away by the time she looked outside and nobody saw anything (it was at night).

Lastly CCTV can be placed easily at each corner of the building which would give a good view of the front and back of the car. Seeing as she has a Disabled Parking Space, her car will remain in the same place. I should add, that there are a few other Disabled Parking spaces in the near area and no issues have happened there.

In regards to the crime prevention advice, I don't think anything was mentioned as nothing was stolen from the car. Blue Badge was still in the car, so it appears it was mindless thugs.

She thinks that CCTV is her only option, which would enable those who damage her car to be caught.

(She lives in Scotland)

Phoned police and local council and they have no grants available. Does anybody have any further advice/charities that may fund this or at least part of it?

What about charities that deal with her condition or the local Round Table. If she is related to anyone who is/was in the armed forces try SSAFA.

I don't think there are charities for her condition in the local area but I'll have a look. I thought the Round Table was a travel charity (Never heard of it, until I looked it up just now).

I don't think she is related to anyone in the armed forces but I shall double check.

Speaking as someone who has had experience of helping people in sort of similar situations, I have some thoughts.

In the UK, the local Council's neighbourhood wardens or the Anti social behaviour team would normally get involved, in the counties I worked in they had the cameras etc. The Police, while the first choice, are extremely limited to the actions they can take to detect due to resource restraints. They usually worked with the council. So you may want to speak to your local council, or whatever you have up North.

On another front CCTV may not catch them, it may even make the problem worse. If the CCTV is overt and someone is targeting her, this can be a catalyst for more things to happen. Acting to the camera as they have got a response from you. And remember CCTV cannot see through scarves and hoods, nowadays people don't usually do these things without a disguise. The Police would need to either catch them in the act, or soon after, while wearing the same clothes-with some sort of forensic link to the car or act. However, if the previous damage is unlinked, then overt CCTV may dissuade things from happening again. It's a deterrent, like lights and an alarm etc.

Covert CCTV, which is what I've known Councils use, relies on the person doing the naughty stuff being really stupid. Committing the act so the face can be seen. Or doing the damage, with their face covered, then lingering in the area so they can be caught by the Plod. Assuming you spot the damage in time. However, you may recognise the clothing, as people tend to wear the same outer garment. That may lead to the person. Then the police etc have to persuade the Prosecutor Fiscal (I think that's the Scottish CPS) to take to court.

So. Call the council. They may be more help than the police. At least if you film them it will give you some answers, but may not solve the problem.

On a separate note, how do you know it's random thugs. It could be a neighbour. Annoyed over something. Happens far, far, far more often than you think. Is the car motability?, is it nice? etc, etc. Also, if you can prove its a hate crime you will get a far better response from the police. Criminal Damage isn't a priority on the statistic tables the Police have to live by.

My post is a bit of a ramble, hope some of it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundersparrow View Post
    Speaking as someone who has had experience of helping people in sort of similar situations, I have some thoughts.

In the UK, the local Council's neighbourhood wardens or the Anti social behaviour team would normally get involved, in the counties I worked in they had the cameras etc. The Police, while the first choice, are extremely limited to the actions they can take to detect due to resource restraints. They usually worked with the council. So you may want to speak to your local council, or whatever you have up North.

On another front CCTV may not catch them, it may even make the problem worse. If the CCTV is overt and someone is targeting her, this can be a catalyst for more things to happen. Acting to the camera as they have got a response from you. And remember CCTV cannot see through scarves and hoods, nowadays people don't usually do these things without a disguise. The Police would need to either catch them in the act, or soon after, while wearing the same clothes-with some sort of forensic link to the car or act. However, if the previous damage is unlinked, then overt CCTV may dissuade things from happening again. It's a deterrent, like lights and an alarm etc.

Covert CCTV, which is what I've known Councils use, relies on the person doing the naughty stuff being really stupid. Committing the act so the face can be seen. Or doing the damage, with their face covered, then lingering in the area so they can be caught by the Plod. Assuming you spot the damage in time. However, you may recognise the clothing, as people tend to wear the same outer garment. That may lead to the person. Then the police etc have to persuade the Prosecutor Fiscal (I think that's the Scottish CPS) to take to court.

So. Call the council. They may be more help than the police. At least if you film them it will give you some answers, but may not solve the problem.

On a separate note, how do you know it's random thugs. It could be a neighbour. Annoyed over something. Happens far, far, far more often than you think. Is the car motability?, is it nice? etc, etc. Also, if you can prove its a hate crime you will get a far better response from the police. Criminal Damage isn't a priority on the statistic tables the Police have to live by.

My post is a bit of a ramble, hope some of it helps.
    Many thanks, it's a helpful post which raises many good points. It's not a Motability car but it is a roughly 3 year old car. I have met the neighbours and they are reasonably nice. I don't think its the neighbours as she has a good relationship with them. When she heard the glass break, she looked out of her window in seconds, as her window was open at the time. She didn't catch who it was but when she went out the street and surrounding streets were empty so whoever did it ran off quickly.

The police think it is mindless thugs and as she has lived on the street for about a decade and a half she has only noticed this kind of thing happening in the past few months or so.

I phoned the council but they have no grants available and are unable to help from what I could gather during my phone call.

worth having a look here http://search.diy.com/search#p=R&w=C...3&uid=19586321
    B&Q do a vast range..........
    so alarming the car wd be my first step. Possible security light outside the flat. Depends how techno you want to go