Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DWP email for disabled customers

DWP email for disabled customers

From the DWP 'Touchbase news' January 2018
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...isabled-people
    Email options available for disabled people

DWP offers email communication as a reasonable adjustment to disabled customers who require it.

Disabled customers who think they would benefit from email communication should contact us using the details on the last communication they received from us, or let us know when they next get in touch.

We’ll work with the customer to find out whether email is the most suitable means of communication. If it is, we’ll let them know how we’ll set it up for them.

If you have any queries, email .......
    See also - E-mail Complaint address
    Last edited by nukecad; 05-03-20 at 13:47.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I think that is a good idea. Especially for people who cannot talk to people over the phone. Plus added bonus you have a message/paper trail,

Also good for people who can’t get out ie to post letters.

There has been a reply to a recent FoI that gives the disclaimer the DWP currently ask you to agree to before they will use email for communication.

The Department currently asks disabled customers to agree to the following for the
    use of email;

‘You have requested that DWP correspond with you by e-mail as a
    reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act. This may require e-mailing
    your personal data outside of the Secure network used by DWP. We need to
    inform you of the risks associated with e-mailing outside a secure network, the
    primary risks are loss, manipulation and theft of emails. Before DWP can
    proceed with your request please provide confirmation that you accept the
    risks associated with DWP corresponding with you by internet based email.

Do you give your consent for DWP to correspond with you by email as a
    reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act and accept the risk associated
    with DWP corresponding with you by internet based email?’

The Department is reviewing this agreement and plans to remove the requirement
    for DWP customers to give their consent to use email.
    From that last line it looks as if they are finally accepting that the use of email should become more common for all claimants, and not just a reasonable adjustment for disability.
    Last edited by nukecad; 28-02-18 at 12:52.

Surely if you have provided your email address that is consent in itself. If you didn't want it used you wouldn't provide it.

They currently need your explicit (written) permission to use email communication so as to comply with the Data Protection Act.

The current conditions of making a claim do not include any mention of e-mail communication.

If they make it a condition of making a new claim, or of continuing to receive benefit payments, then they won't need this extra permission anymore.
    Which is what that last line is about.

(It's also currently "small print" so that you cannot sue them if an email gets intercepted or hacked of your computer).

I emailed the address quoted above and it bounced back. I then emailed oed.customeraccessibilityteam@dwp.gsi.gov.uk and got the reply below.

"DWP email addresses are changing and @dwp.gsi.gov.uk email addresses will soon cease to exist.

All future emails should be addressed @dwp.gov.uk. Please update any records you have.

Your email has been redirected, so you do not need to send it again.

For further information refer to : https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...s-are-changing

Please do not reply to this email, as it has been automatically generated from an unmonitored account."

This is a 2 year old thread from 2018.

dwp.gsi email adresses have changed since then.

When reading things online you have to check when they were posted or you may be reading out of date information.

That applies to forum posts, newspaper articles, or anything else you see online.
    Last edited by nukecad; 04-03-20 at 19:16.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    This is a 2 year old thread from 2018.

dwp.gsi email adresses have changed since then.

When reading things online you have to check when they were posted or you may be reading out of date information.

That applies to forum posts, newspaper articles, or anything else you see online.
    I am well aware of the date it was posted, thank you.

Many people do not know that the email facility exists. Rather than start a new thread, I chose to update this one with the information I came across today. It was this thread that led me to email in the first place. It wasn't a dig at anyone.

As I said, the email at the top of the page bounced back (non gsi email). I am aware gsi emails are no longer used. Despite this, the email I received back from sending one to the gsi anyway, stated it had been forwarded. I'm sure people would rather have an email be sent on than one which bounces back. Hence, my reason for reviving the thread.
    Last edited by quest; 04-03-20 at 20:03.

Ah, I see.

So despite the .gsi supposedly being dropped (as in that original quote from 2018) they have now reverted to using it in that article. Typical DWP.

The Link above the quote, which is where the quote comes from, does now give the .gsi email address again.

To avoid any further confusion I've taken the incorrect email out of the quote itself and have just left the original link.